Thursday, March 1, 2012

Women's History Month

Every year I make sure to mention and participate in Womens History Month.  I do it for several reasons. 

One, I am a woman.  The struggles women in history had to go through, I feel it's disrespectful to recognize them.  The stories of the women that set out to "earn" the right to vote are amazing.  I don't want to take it for granted.  (Another reason I cringe when women don't go out to vote).

Two, I have daughters.  In fact I have often said I think God gave me daughters for a reason.  I am sure to tell them their worth.  In a nation that is forgetful of the contributions of women I will not forget.  In a time that the body is the focus of women I can share the stories of the power of women minds. 

Three, women seem forgotten in history classes.  If they weren't why would there be a need for womens history month?  Seriously, think back and remember how many women were talked about/ studied in your school.  I can name about half a dozen.  Now are we to believe that only half a dozen women ever had something significant to contribute?   As a result I am sad to announce most Women don't know there is a Women's History Month much less when it is.  Schools still don't seem to even focus on it. 

Things need to change, thoughts need to change.  Remember the saying, "Lest we forget"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment