Friday, February 3, 2012

100th Day of School - The Buttons

For the past week we have been prepping for this day.  Katherine's teacher sent home a big 100 for her to decorate with 100 things.  Did she choose stickers, the simple solution?  Nope.  Macaroni or beans which we have?  Nope.  She wanted buttons.  We have a place about 40 minutes from us that sells them but their hours are off from ours.  Also, the buttons are all gray - what fun is that?  Finally we don't have the money to buy super unnecessary items.

Luckily a woman I know mentioned having to clean out her crafting supplies a few months ago.  So one post on her Facebook page and three people responded that they had them.  Now I said to all of them to bring the buttons ( I wanted to make sure we had 100).  One woman kept forgetting, another had a few and even showed them to me but never gave me any, but luckily the original one I had asked was able to drop them off to me. 

Turns out they were different shades of purple (Katherine's favorite color) and she had 101 because her daughter had wanted buttons when she was in Kindergarten for the 100th day.  It worked out perfectly. 

These buttons were not going to stay on the poster board with Elmers glue.  Luckily my mother had given me a hot glue gun this past fall.  This meant that I was going to be the one actually gluing since Katherine is too small to use it.  Still I had to make sure she had actually done something to make it.  What to do?  What to do?  Of course GLITTER! 

So I helped get the glue all around the button maze and she poured on the glitter.  Good thing I did it because we couldn't find regular school glue.  That would have been too easy.  All I had was tacky glue and boy was it hard to squeeze out.

However we did it and it looks cute.  Now it is the teachers turn to figure out how to hang such a heavy poster.  : ) 

2 comments:

  1. i had to chuckle...someone showed you buttons, but did give them to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember at Scrapbook night. Mandi found a baggie with a few, told me she had more somewhere at home, but never even gave me the ones she had

      Delete