Friday, February 3, 2012

100th Day of School - The Outfit

So you have read our story of the "100" project.  The kids also had a note sent home to dress for the day.  Now, I thought of it in a dressing for dinner way (so did others. dont judge). 

Nope needed to be something that was about the 100th day of school.  What do you do when you have no clue?  Google it.  Turns out most schools that actually dress for it have the kids dress up as they would if they were 100 years old.  That would have been a easier idea but no.  My search turned up nothing.

Enter Pinterest.  Again nothing.  I tried several different ways of saying for the 100th day of school.  Then I was getting just classroom ideas.  No clothing ideas.  Finally when I was about to lose my mind I found one.  A woman had made a alien/ monster shape and put 100 googly eyes on it.  Easy enough right?  Read on.

I was able to use the puffy paint that our MOPS group has in the craft supplies.  Great!  We don't have the money to waste for all this stuff - this would help.  Next I was going to use an old t shirt at home, I mean, if it had stains we would cover them with the eyes right?  Nope.  Katherine has been growing as young children generally do.  We didn't have any plan shirts in the 7/8 size we needed. 

This makes our shopping list go from just googly eyes to the eyes and a t shirt.  Hurray!  The lady at Walmart was marking down shirts to 3.00.  Thing is they were turtle necks. Katherine doesn't like them.  I beg, reason, and even told her we would buy size 10/12 so there would be lots of room.  She mumbled and agreement but I knew that would just mean another argument later.  Finally got a plain long sleeve shirt (you would think they would be marked down too would you?)  for almost 6.00. 

Off we go for the eyes.  We needed 100 so we got two packs of 75 which was about 4.00.  They were peel and stick so I thought okay no need for fabric glue.  She only needs it one day right?  Wrong.  Katherine wants it to stick forever.  She likes the alien idea and plans on wearing it again. 

Turns out Pinterest has no recipes for making fabric glue.  I finally found one on ehow and was assured I could make it with things around the house.  Well we do not stock pectin or glycerin here.  Fabric glue?  almost 7.00 a bottle.  No generic versions available.  Finally I found two fabric glue pens.  They cost 4.00. 

We get home.  It's bedtime.  Daddy takes the girls up while I start the project.  You would think that it would be simple.  Nope.  It took 45 minutes to make.  The alien itself was about 5 minutes, but those eyes.  Oy those eyes.  They wanted to stick to me, they were getting in the paint, and just an over all pain.

So this simple shirt that should have been easy and cheap ended up being almost $15.  I don't know about you but I do not even buy shirts that much for me.  Katherine has it though and loved it when I surprised her with the finished product this morning.  She loves the sound it makes when she walks too.  Now I am praying the eyes make it through the washing (after the required 48 hours as the glue states).  Oh and Katherine will not be wearing it again.  We are saving that for Ava to wear next year.  Though knowing my luck she will have the other teacher that just wanted the kids to wear their school shirts they got for a previous field trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment