Saturday, January 14, 2012

Disappointment

 I finished a book last week, Smothered. I was excited to read my new selection, Mr & Mrs Cugat.  I believe that is the title. 

I got this book a year ago online and kept meaning to read it but never got around to it.  Not surprising as I am always bringing books home and get distracted by them.  I thought I would love this book. It was made into a radio show, My Favorite Husband which I listen to.  Lucille Ball starred as the wife on that show and it is said to be the inspiration for I Love Lucy. 

However I started reading it and just can not get into it.  I have tried and tired but it isn't working.  I was shocked with the illustration though.  During the telling of Mrs. Cugat having to get out of the tub to answer the call from her husband I beheld the cartoon of her holding a towel against herself.  Thing is her breasts are exposed.  Not in a detailed way, just two dots at the end of boobs but still shocking.  This book was published in 1935 or 1937.  I thought people were more prudish then. 

I am just very disappointed. I was all set to love this book as I had the various broadcasts.  Guess I will set it aside and maybe return to it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment