Tuesday, January 17, 2012

MLK Day

Our area doesn't do much for MLK day.  Actually the town I live in does nothing.  Now I have always said that when I was a parent and my children had a day off from school, I would make sure they knew why. 

Imagine my surprise when talking to my Kindergartner and she didn't know.  Now, last year I remember one paper coming home so I guess she naturally forgot.  However, I thought her class this year would teach more about it.  Appears I was wrong.

So I tried to explain without getting into just how back things were.  At the end I was so proud of her.  She was silent for a moment then said, "They were mean to them because they have brown skin?  That's silly". 

Yes, Katherine that is silly.  It is also silly that it still happens today and not just to African Americans.  It's almost like we have learned nothing. 

I love that my little girl can see how absurd it is to base your thoughts off of something as insignificant as appearance.  It makes me wonder, what happens to us?  My children are in class, all getting along, all friends.  Where does the prejudice, back talking, lack of concern, bullying, etc. come from?   Why can't we all just keep it on friendly terms?  Why can't we just get along?  Is it a childish concept or can we be big enough to admit we, as we grow, complicate things?  It shouldn't be that hard - in fact it shouldn't have to change.

So Dr King, I too have a dream......

No comments:

Post a Comment