Friday, January 20, 2012

Fire Safety

This morning there was a fire in the area that claimed the lives of two small girls.  Some of the accounts are horrifying and I will not repeat them.  This post is to get you, the reader, thinking about how important it is to teach your kids and to make sure they understand.

I didn't tell my girls what happened because Katherine is very sensitive about this stuff.  Last year and this year at school during Fire Prevention week, she has had a paranoia about fire.  So tonight at dinner I just asked a few questions and ignored when they asked why.

I'm very glad that I did because I found out that though Ava knows if a door knob is hot to not open the door, she thinks she needs to pack her stuff before leaving.  So I made it very clear that if there is ever a fire we need to get out.  That we can always get more stuff but not new Kats or Avas.  It took a while to get them to understand that the stuff is not what is important.

Another good point to bring up is that even though it is scary, they CAN NOT HIDE.  It is said that this is why the mother couldnt get to the girls.  So with this I am going to find a way to get them to see a firefighter with full gear on.  That way if heaven forbid we are ever in this situation they know that it is someone trying to help and not a monster.

So we will be starting to work on escape plans and meeting places.  Always reinforcing what we have already talked about.

Please pray for the mother and everyone involved in this accident.  Also for the children that went to school with the girls.  I believe they were 4 and 7 and knowing my girls are about that age, it must be scary for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment